Quality nutrition is essential for a healthy life. Obvious, right? What is less obvious is what “quality nutrition” means and what foods will provide it. Our doctors at Lakewood Animal Hospital have taken a special interest in nutrition. Over the years, we have witnessed remarkable improvements in our patients’ health as a result.
We have generally been taught to avoid changing foods, as doing so can cause digestive upset. However, our pets have thrived for hundreds of years eating a wide range of foods. They have been hunters, scavengers, and the recipients of food off the farm table. It was only when processed foods were introduced that this concept of never changing the diet began. It is true that if we feed only one food for a time and then change to another food, our pets will often have a change in stool quality, or in some cases further GI upset. But if we feed our pets a variety of foods on a regular basis, their gut learns to digest well with no problems.
Why feed a variety
Your pet will love it! No more monotonous meals, the same thing day after day. But just as important – this is the best way to ensure a balanced source of nutrients and a healthy gut and immune system!
What do we mean by variety? We recommend the following…
- Fresh, homemade foods – Including raw meaty bones, Hilary’s Blend recipes
- Raw, frozen foods – Spring Meadows
- Canned foods of good quality – Royal Canin Veterinary Diets, Hills Veterinary Diets
- Processed dry foods – Royal Canin Veterinary Diets, Rayne Clinical Nutrition, Hills Veterinary Diets
* For those clients looking for a natural approach to nutrition, Dr. Sthamann recommends feeding a majority of fresh and raw diets.
- Hilary’s Blend (Homemade Diet): Recipes and supplement for complete and balanced homemade diets.
- Spring Meadows (Raw Diet); Saskatoon, Saskatchewan: Spring Meadows “provides the highest quality raw ground whole animal pet food. Partnering with local farmers has enabled them to guarantee a quality product, offered at an affordable price.”
- Rayne Clinical Nutrition: Burnaby, B.C.: The first veterinary diet based on whole food nutrition.
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diets; Guelph, Ontario: Founded by veterinarians, Royal Canin employs a team of veterinary staff in the research and development of medically appropriate diets. All products are naturally preserved.
- Hills Veterinary Diets; Topeka, Kansas: Founded by a veterinarian, Hills Veterinary Diets staff veterinarians and board certified specialists in nutrition and internal medicine.
Supplements Available at Lakewood Animal Hospital:
- RX Vitamins: This veterinarian formulated line uses only pure, high quality raw materials in the manufacturing of all their formulas. Rigorous inspection and assay testing ensures the quality, integrity and potency of each raw material.
- Vetri-Science: Canine Plus and Nu Cat Vitamins, Omega 3, 6, & 9, and other Vetri-Science products may be prescribed by your veterinarian. The potencies of their formulations are optimal to produce both preventive and therapeutic results. Ingredients are guaranteed to conform to the highest quality, purity, and potency for maximum utilization by the animal’s body.
- Renavast: A nutritional supplement to help support natural kidney functions.